By Jan, Costa Rica Global Volunteer.
Quote of the Day:
If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people.
Reflections on our two weeks at Colegio Tecnico Profesional de Santa Elena, Costa Rica:
Thinking about our last day as well as the two weeks at Colegio and Santa Elena, so many impressions cross my mind, that I found they can best be expressed using several generalizations: what I remember seeing, hearing, smelling, and feeling.
- Lush, thick, green vegetation in dense forests
- Pink clouds and rainbows in the cloud mist that rolls across the hills
- Nicoya Gulf in the distance
- Flora: heliconias, orchids, bromeliads, palm trees, strangler figs, ferns
- Fauna: birds asleep on trees at night, leaf cutter ants in armies of action, morpho butterflies, agoutis, coatis
- Transformation from a jumble of materials and trash to a renovated toolshed/greenhouse/classroom
- Students and teachers brushing their teeth at the outdoor sinks in the corridors
- The industriousness and teamwork of students to learn and help each other
- The efforts of teachers to use a variety of approaches to teach English
- The guarded gate for entry to and exit from the school for both students and teachers
- Awakening to the sounds of birds
- Winds at night
- Chopping sounds of breakfast and dinner being prepared
- Laughter and talking among the students
- Growing ability to distinguish the various sounds of Spanish
- Maggie’s laugh
- The tantalizing smells of coffee and breakfast and then garlic and dinner smells from Tatiana’s cooking before mealtimes
- Paint fumes at Colegio
- Scented toilet paper at Mar Inn
- El Trapiche coffee shop at lunch time
- The freshness of air when the clouds of mist come over us
- The comfort of a peaceful, relaxed pace of our volunteer life with our cohesive team
- Thankfulness for the opportunity to live in a small town in Costa Rica, a community with no street addresses
- Appreciation for an experience to talk and laugh with students and teachers, to share it with new American friends, and to be led by the capable, affable Maggie
- The wonder of the natural environment of the Monteverde region
- The wistfulness of knowing we’re at the end of this journey
Pura Vida Pictures:
Interested in becoming a Costa Rica Global Volunteer. Learn more here.