https://globalvolunteers.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/IMG_8094.jpg 1256 3264 Global Volunteers https://globalvolunteers.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/2014-GlobalVolunteersLogo-Web.png Global Volunteers2016-03-29 16:25:262021-11-25 22:46:55My Home Away from Home in Beja
My Home Away from Home in Beja
by Joe Testa
Beja has become my home away from home. I always look forward to returning year after year. Not only is it beautiful with its narrow cobblestone streets lined with whitewashed houses, the people are friendly, warm and eager to welcome you into their community.
- Their old fashion traditions will woo you. It feels like stepping back in time – a place where one can take a deep breath, relax and enjoy the culture.
- The amazing staff at the Hotel Bejense will work overtime to make you feel at home.
- The food is great and the wine fantastic. The fact that we visit so many restaurants during our two week stay allows us to sample most of the traditional foods that Portugal is famous for.
- The teaching English project is a total team effort. Our partnering teachers in Beja understand the value of learning English and all look forward to our visits. The volunteers have many opportunities to develop friendships, learn the culture and depart with a true sense of contribution.
- Abundant free time activities are available from visiting Evora (a U.N. Heritage site only 40 kilometers away) to experiencing the Roman ruins of Pisces. It becomes a matter of time to be able to visit all of the interesting sightseeing opportunities.
With that being said, it’s all about the people and the friendships… And Portugal comes to my mind first.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!